Monday, June 20, 2011

Wellness, Monistic Theory, Metaphysics, and Infinite Possibilities

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”-  Dr. Carl Sagan (American Astronomer, Writer and Scientist, 1934-1996)

The Science of Being Well
Preface

From the very start, The Science of Being Well, gives me an immediate impression that this is a book that will offer knowledge in the form of a tested  formula or protocol for maintaining or recovering health.

A read through the table of contents,  gives me a glimpse into chapters that pertain to eating, drinking, breathing and sleeping. From my experience, all of these things are important considerations in any effort  to maintain or move toward good health so, at this point, I am receptive to what this book has to offer.  


The preface tells me this is  a  "practical guide for health"  that is based on the Monistic Theory of the Universe - "that matter, mind, consciousness and life are manifestations of one Substance."  Well, practical is good, if that means I can apply the information to get results and I believe that we are all from one divine source, interconnected, and interdependent, but I have never heard it called a monistic theory.   Okay....I had to look this one up....

What I found is that the Monistic Theory  (fascinating book, by the way)  is an ancient tradition which, according to author Nhân Tử Nguyễn Văn Thọ,  was the "common heritage of Brahmanism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianis and of the Yi Jing (Dịch Kinh). 

Additionally, The Monistic Theory, under the guise of the Emanation Theory, was, and still is, the main creed of various Western Occult Societies of the past and present including Gnosticism, Kabbalah, Alchemy and  Freemasonry, etc. 


 
The monistic theory of the universe asserts that everything comes from one source which manifests itself as all of the elements of the physical world.  It is "the timeless metaphysical truth underlying the diverse religions.  It helps us get rid of everything man-made, of everything superstitious in religion, and discover what is divine, what is permanent, what is naturally carved in our own heart," (Nhân Tử Nguyễn Văn Thọ).

Ahhhhhh, what a beautiful sentiment....

Continuing, Wattles tells us that he has compiled this work so that even someone who is not familiar with New Thought or metaphysics may benefit from these principles. 

Since this work was published i n 1910, and that is "old" by my standards, I was curious when "New Thought" began.  I found that it began in the early 19th century and is an umbrella term for many diverse beliefs that promote experiencing God's presence through practical purposes. 

Then there is "metaphysics;"  the much maligned term with a very long and winding history.  Interestingly enough, it goes all the way back to classical antiquity and Aristotle.  Metaphysics generally seeks to explain inherent or universal elements of reality which are not easily discovered or experienced in our everyday life.

To seek knowledge that will help us understand our very being by asking questions and observing the answers does not seem at all sinister to me.  I am all for being the best person I can be for the highest good of  everyone, known or unknown to me, and the only way I know how to do that is to ask my heart what is right for me and then  to listen quietly for the answer.  


I am open to the infinite possibilities that exist around me....


I invite you to ask your questions....

Tip of the Day

To find your truth, ask a question with your hand over your heart.  After you ask the question  say.....my heart says..... 

Listen.....Usually, the first thought is your answer.  If you are unsure....test.....

Believe......You know everything you need to know.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment