That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.- Abraham Lincoln
In this series of posts are my reflections on the behaviors of successful people that are worthy of emulation...
We have previously identified that
Successful people are
- Suspend Judgement
- Cultivate Positive Thoughts
- Understand the Power of Words
- Are Physically Fit
- Make the Best Use of Their Time
- Study Successful Role Models
- Serve Others
It is important that we choose our role models very carefully because if we are not vigilant, we could end up just like them...
It has been said that we should not hang out with someone we would not want to become. This makes sense when we look further and find we become an amalgamation of the five people with which we spend the most time. And this can include the people we spend time with in our minds...heroes, villains, presidents, kings, writers, actors and imaginary friends....
Here is a simple exercise.....Go ahead.....Try it.....
1. What kind of person do you want to be? List qualities that are important to you.
2. Think of the 5 people with whom you spend the most time....What qualities do you like about them?
3. Are these lists of qualities similar?
4. Do these qualities move you forward.... toward your goals?
5. What qualities do you dislike about yourself?
6. What qualities do you dislike about the 5 people with whom you spend the most time?
Is there a pattern...Are the qualities you like about yourself and the people you spend time with similar? What about the qualities you dislike.....
Typically the things we like and dislike about others are the very things we like and dislike about ourselves....It is resonance....Like attracts like...
Become abundance and prosperity focused and concentrate on developing only relationships which are enriching, supportive and empowering! Hang out with the people that are achieving what you want to achieve, earning the income you want to earn and making decisions you want to make...
This is extremely important because our thoughts determine our feelings; our feelings determine our actions; our actions determine our results. If we adopt the thought patterns, habits and tendencies of people who are successful in the areas in which we wish to achieve, we can expect to achieve similar results.
In a nutshell, decide what you want to achieve, find someone who has already done it and then learn everything you can from them...
It’s better to hang out with people better than you, … Pick out associates whose behavior is better than yours and you’ll drift in that direction.“ Warren Buffet